Thursday, February 11, 2010

Real Estate, for the Love of Love!

I was watching House Hunters today, a show that Mike got me COMPLETELY addicted to. The couple featured were looking for a new home. They were looking in Baltimore. At row housing. They wanted a view.
A nice city view.
Bless their hearts. A nice view of Baltimore? The best view of that place is the rearview. I'm just sayin'
And it must be said as I was watching them go round the trendy neighborhood,
I liked the men. They seemed really cool, and in love.

I couldn't help but think of my own lovey, and our whole last year in the DC/Baltimore area.
We did go to the Inner Harbour a few times, but it wasn't fabulous.

I thought of our version of Baltimore which went more like....Driving warp speed down Route 1 through straight up CrackWhore Hood. Hoping we make it out alive. Trust me, there were no green tree lined streets. It was dark, the street lights were on the fritz, and the streets of the Baltimore I've seen, are trash lined. NOT tree lined.

But that Baltimore wouldn't sell homes on HGTV.


I realized...While I love love..
..I hate Baltimore.
I do. No apologies.

It's not trendy. It's icky.
It's not up and coming. It's down and dirty.
I can't even watch their local news. It's so....low quality.

I prefer tuning into DC news.

And I don't think it's just the snow making me disgruntled. I've not liked Baltimore since...well, since I the first time ever I saw it's face.

Bare in mind, it's not all of Maryland that I dislike.
Annapolis is stunning.
Western Maryland is beautiful.

I realized if just seeing the town on tv can make me feel such disgust, it just can't be the snow. I wanted to yell at HGTV "It's NOT a trendy town! It's NOT a pretty town!"
I always try to guess which home they bought.

It's a lame guessing game, I am aware of this, but I guess away anyways.  (Me at the grand finale of House Hunters: Don't choose the two bedroom charmer! Charmer means fixer upper....you'll rue the day!

But in this edge of your seat episode instead of guessing, I was thinking "Don't buy that one! Or that one! OR that one!! Move to Annapolis."

As the happy couple chose their humble abode, I put the remote down, in time to answer a call from my husband.  He is now in Bamberg.

Safe and sound.

He broke the news gently to me that the post is super small, by telling me to "Hurry and get your passport." (AKA...It's boring here, and I want my wife)
We will probably live on post, because it's more affordable. but he has to 'set up' a home before they will allow me to join him.
I feel like it's one stumbling block after another in getting myself across the pond!! (Passports, Doctor's visits, Movers, Travel, etc...)
Mike told me we can walk out the gate into town.  Just like that. Just hello! I'm in Bamberg. And they supposedly have lots of festivals.

I wondered what kind of festivals. Dancing? Beer Fests? Sausage? Christmas? October?
I wanna go to the festivals!!!!
I want to mix and mingle!!
Since we'll be walkin til the car arrives, I realized...I must step up on learning the language. I read about the customs of Germany...

Apparently, when in Germany one shouldn't....
Smile too much. Germans think it's fake.
Mention WWII.
Think it's rude that people are going to gawk and stare.
Never NOT say GUTEN TAG!!! when you go into a store...even if no one looks at you.
Same goes for saying G'bye.

I think I can do all of that and more....so much more!!!

Lil' tidbit of randomness....if you are snowed in and want something good to read...Might I suggest these two really good books: Still Life with Chickens: Starting Over in a House by the Sea by Catherine Goldhammer AND Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron.

                                   


Annapolis



1 comment:

  1. IT will be a great experience. I cannot wait to follow you through this. :)

    ReplyDelete