Monday, February 1, 2010

The Newness of a New Blog....

After keeping a blog for many years on another site, I decided to move it all over to this site. I figure newness is in order.
Being a newlywed in a new decade, and moving to a new country
New Blog seems in order, if only to me.

It's still strange to think of myself as 'a wife'. I still smile everytime someone calls us "The Sumans" or when I overhear Mike say  "My wife....".
There's a calmness and a happiness that I feel bubbling deep inside when that occurs.

Before re-enlisting Michael asked me how I felt about living in Europe. I have to admit, I didn't hesitate in my answer. I romanticized it completely.
Picturing myself in Paris. At a cafe. Eating crossiant. Pretending to fit it lovely, ignoring that I'd stand out as American without even opening my mouth.
And that's how I picture Europe. Very Parisian. Very romantic. Very Avant-garde.

Except.....we aren't moving to France, with all it's art and love.
And it's not England with it's refinement.
And not Italian with it's food and family.
It's Germany.
Land of the Robust. Land of Pork Products.

We have been duly warned that Germans will sit at our dinner tables at restaurants. Awkward. How does THAT conversation go?  Guten Tag....Hope your sausage is......sausagey. Cheers to the Beers!

But then, my dear husband found out we are moving to Bavaria, specifically.
Mmmm....Bavarian Cream!

Throw in Wife and mix it with Expatriate. It seems unreal. The realness of living abroad hasn't sank. It seems like a dream, or some far distant pie in the sky kind of plan.
We are still here in snowy maryland, kicking the snow off our boots and talking about living Europe. And in my mind it's still some fairy dream that only exists in our 'one day' stories.

In reality, Michael leaves on Monday.
And I really need to Rosetta Stone it. If Michael Phelps learned Chinese, and retained it with all that pot he was smoking, it has to work! Hopefully that stone that is beloved-by-olympians will teach me very useful phrases. Like all learn language fast programs do. After all everyone needs to learn vital phrases like "I washed the dishes" "the dog is brown." "The taxi is fast."

By the time my sister visits in 2011 I want to be able to say "The Shirt is Yellow." and "I like to play Tennis." and "Do you speak English?" to every person we meet in Germany.

I know I have a few months before I join my zany husband...and so I'm not going to think about saying Goodbye to my family just yet......
I'm going to think of Goodwilling it with my sister on Super Sundays.

2 comments: