Thursday, August 5, 2010

A little remedy for enduring the heat without A/C

I've made no secret about the sheer lack of air conditioning. In fact, I've complained and whined about the predicament to anyone or anything that has ears. I've acted like a wilted flower, I've pouted, I've stamped my foot, I opened the fridge and freeze a stood in front of it a la Laverne & Shirley. I even cried actual tears for my longsuffering.


Unfortunately, my audience has mostly been my understanding husband.

But I've also found a new ritual in which to escape the heat. My beloved and much needed mid-to-late afternoon cold bath (Sometimes with Caress pulling double duty as body wash AND bubble bath.) It is literally the only reprieve that can be found from the heat.

I make a lovely production of it, if I do say so myself.

I turn the lever on the facet to cool. I'm not looking for luke warm. I want cool as can be. Cooler than a cucumber. I want Shiver-me-timbers! That is Cold!

I make my hair into a haphazard bun.

I put my latest favorite music on loop.

I stick a toe in and feel the delightful coolness wrap around my toe, inviting me to just sink in.

Once inside, I swing my bathroom windows open, letting in any breeze (even if it is stale), and not minding the sun shining down on the water.

I sink back into my divinely deep soaker tub, happy that I'm hidden in my own world from the prying eyes of neighbors.

I close my eyes and sing along with Ella...
"Fish got to swim, birds got to fly, I got to love one man 'til I die. Can't help lovin' dat man of mine...."

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying the cold baths, sugar, but in order to make the heat you have to deal with the rest of the time more tolerable, the way to do it is to take as HOT a bath or shower as you can stand, then when you get out, it feels so much more comfortable! I know, I hate to do it too, but it does work better. So I first take the cool comfortable one, then crank up the hot water (works in a shower, not so much in a tub) and semi-scald myself. Thankfully our a/c is back on, but that's what I did when it was 100+ (without even counting the heat index) and our air died.

    ReplyDelete