Monday, August 23, 2010

Church bells in the Rain

I sit, by the open window...listening to the rain falling and the church bells clanging...
It's really lovely...
Which I believe I can only say this today because I had 3 days of sunshine...or two and a half..however you slice the pie... Friday/Saturday/MOST of sunday.
It was nice and warm and I unfortunately spent it on the sofa, whining with bronchitis. Napping, and watching DVDs of Family Ties.
Granted, Michael and I did take a ride through Bamberg...which was all the engery I could muster. No walks. No marketing. No nothing but sitting in a car, drinking water to fight my cough and then coming home to nap, and drink gallons of hot tea with Echter Deuschter Honig.

The rain here in Germany is nearly constant. It had been going non stop for at least 20 days. Not only was it rainy, it was also cold. And by 'cold' I mean...in the 50's.

And last week, the night before I went to the doctor. I appeared in the kitchen door, (wearing a night gown, a pair of blue thick winter socks, and his flannel thick coat. Quite the ensemble...I may add my hair was wiley and my nose was red.)while my husband was cooking dinner (He forbad me to cook due to my being sick...sweet man, he is.)
He looked at me with kind of a stunned expression.
I wailed extra dramatic with cheese "I'm NEVER going to see the sun again. Ever. Until the 2 weeks in July when it comes out again."
and I promptly broke down into hard tears. I know for the most part, it was my being under the weather. I will cry over everything/anything/nothing when I am sick. It's the charm of me.

Micheal looked heartbroken for me. Standing there holding a stirring spoon up in the air like Lady Liberty and I was his tired, sick, poor and hungry. He came over to me, hugged me and said nothing.
I said between coughs and sobs " Everyone at home is having summer, still. I'm not used to this. I'm feeling smothered by the rain."
When in reality I know now it wasn't the grey clouds or the rain smothering me but my cold was keeping me from getting a deep breath.

Friday when the sun peeked through and burst out of the sky, my lovely husband wanted to call me from work. Just to tell me to have a little gander...
I was so thankful for this weekend of warm dry weather and lots of sun...
It makes the rain that came on this monday morning..not so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment