Thursday, July 15, 2010

The most beautiful thing ever said to me.

I was standing in our kitchen, the summer air sticky all around us, while my darling husband made himself a turkey and gouda sandwich.
I was telling him about the book I was reading. Which is a ritual of ours. I drone on and on about what book I've got my nose stuck in, and he listens, adding his own 2 cents in every now and then.
This book, Here if You Need Me by Kate Braestrup, had brought me to tears. She writes about the loss of her husband due to a terrible car accident.

I, emotional from I just read,said to him "Please. Be careful with you. I don't ever want to lose you."
He was holding his spreading knife, with some smears of dijon left from his business of spreading, and said with the softest look in his eyes ever:

"I don't want to lose you from my being lost."

I threw my arms around him as my tears spilled down his uniform undershirt.

2 comments:

  1. I thought that the MOST beautiful thing ever said to you was: "OH.MY.GOD. there is a town in PA called Intercourse".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wait..yeah..that was the most beautiful thing ever said to me...my blunder.

    ReplyDelete